70,000 fire disasters per year
In just 2 minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In 5 minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
Have a plan:
- Find 2 ways to get out of each room.
- Make sure windows are not stuck and can be used as an exit if needed.
- Practice feeling your way around the house with your eyes closed or in the dark.
- Teach children not to be afraid of firefighters.
During a fire:
- Crawl low under the smoke to closest exit.
- Check doorknobs and door for heat. If it is hot, find alternate exit.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, & roll.
After a fire:
- Contact insurance company if insured.
- Check with fire department before entering the residence again.
- Do not reconnect utilities yourself.
- Conduct inventory of damaged items.
- Try to locate valuable documents and records.